[WikiEN-l] Google thinks Wikipedia is a news source

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 05:17:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM, geni<geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunate but unsurprising. Not that long ago Google was telling
> traditional media that they should construct their articles in a more
> wikipedia like manner (ie continuously update a single article per
> event rather than creating a string of new articles).

Sometimes they do. During a recent earthquake, we all watched as the
various news sites started with single sentence articles "There has
been another earthquake" and rapidly expanded them to several
paragraphs, one paper relying on twitter trawling to fill the space.
But at a certain point, the article itself (imho) does have to stand
alone as a description of a point in time, and be superseded by other
articles as events change.

Though maybe it depends whether new events have occurred, or whether
new information has simply come to light. You could definitely make a
case for having a few, big, detailed articles on high profile court
cases, rather than a string of tidbits.

Steve