[WikiEN-l] RFC on paid editing

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Jun 11 23:15:18 UTC 2009

Carcharoth wrote:
> *One point I don't think has been raised is that paid editing mostly
> focuses on living people and contemporary organisations. I can't
> actually think of examples of paid editing that don't involve
> biographies of living people ([[WP:BLP]]) or corporate companies
> ([[WP:CORP]]), plus a side-serving of political and non-corporate
> organisations (e.g. non-governmental organisations and charities) and
> I'm sure that is an important point, but maybe someone else could
> articulate that?

It depends partly on what you count as "paid" editing. If an
organization assigns a staff member to edit Wikipedia in a particular
area as part of their job responsibilities, is that paid editing? Or
only if they offer some sort of bounty to external contract editors? If
the former counts, there've been multiple examples of paid editing by
cultural and non-profit organizations whose mission is to promote
information in a particular area. We've had museums paying people to
improve the articles on certain areas of art history, for example.

-Mark