[WikiEN-l] An interesting book

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 10:03:25 UTC 2009

"The Future of Reputation: gossip, rumour and privacy on the internet"

http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/dsolove/Future-of-Reputation/

Chapter 6 has a few pages on the Siegenthaler incident (as well as
Wikipedia more generally), but a lot of the second part of the book
deals in more general terms with thorny topics we regularly encounter
and find it hard to draw firm rules on:

* how to respond to requests to remove material
* the ethical issues of unrestrained publication;
* the dilemmas of defining whether information is public or private,
and how to deal with that enormous fuzzy grey middle ground between
them.

May well be of some interest to many of you.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

(I meant to send this a good month ago, and completely forgot until now...)