[WikiEN-l] A new solution for the BLP dilemma

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Sun Jun 7 19:26:34 UTC 2009

<WJhonson at aol.com> wrote in message news:bde.47fa0fc9.375ac492 at aol.com...
In a message dated 6/5/2009 10:48:36 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
philippe.wiki at gmail.com writes:

> > Pardon  the dumb question, but do we have a "{{nomirror}}" or similar
> > feature?  If so, some combination of {{noindex}}, {{nomirror}},  and
> > flagged revisions might be a temporary  panacea...>>

> Any person can mirror any article.  A person does not obey hidden  robot
> commands :)

That's why I rated the password protection option as higher. Beyond password
protection for files, a system can also hav Read, Write, and Permit options
given to specific users, groups, or programs for a file. Note that if a user
has permit access, then they can give themselves permission to read and
write a file. Outside of wikipedia, files hav less credibility, so even if
some information escapes, it does not hav a large collective stamp of
approval until it is available at wikipedia proper. I was on a system that
could prevent you from disassembling or recreating a program with the
debugger. Give read permission only to the run program. It was called
Michigan Terminal System. Similarly, I was able to append files with a
program called BOUL:MEETING, and I did not need direct write access, so I
did not get it, unless I created it. It might even still exist at the UofA.
Having someone big approve their own bio here should encourage donations. No
read access to the IP means no mirror. MTS had everything the internet has
today, except size and 24bit+30fps+640by480 graphics. It charged you about a
penny for every screen of text, though.