[WikiEN-l] Call for Participants: NICE interface modification

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 15:45:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Aaron Halfaker<half0032 at umn.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a researcher in the GroupLens lab (http://grouplens.org) at the
> University of Minnesota.  You might recognize previous work in Wikipedia
> like "Creating, Destroying, and Restoring Value in Wikipedia"
> (http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~reid/papers/group282-priedhorsky.pdf).
>
> As part of our continuing work within Wikipedia, my colleagues and I are
> conducting an academic (non-commercial) study in which we have developed
> a modification that is designed to help users work together more
> effectively by changing the interface for reverting other editors.
>
> If you choose to participate in the study, you will be automatically
> assigned a Wikipedia gadget that will consist of a subset of the
> modifications we have developed.  As part of the study, we will be
> logging your usage of the tool (ie. when you are reverting other
> editors).   We will also be available for tech support and bug fixes.
> Most likely there will be a survey at the completion and the complete
> tool will be made available.
>
> Consent form/installer: http://wikipedia.grouplens.org/NICE/consent/

This looks interesting -- I might have a look at the tools myself in the week when I have a bit more time.

I would, however, urge everyone to use the "manual" installation process.  I don't think it's good form to ask people for their credentials on another site.  Indeed, it is forbidden (actively prohibited) for those with Toolserver accounts to do this.

I am sure that you won't be being evil with the information, but nevertheless I don't think you should request it.

Sam

--
Sam
PGP public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sam_Korn/public_key