[WikiEN-l] A new solution for the BLP dilemma

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 22:45:31 UTC 2009

2009/6/4 David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com>:
> 1.  We exist in the real world, where about 15% of WP traffic comes
> from search engines. We cannot operate in ignorance of how they
> operate. The NOINDEX mechanism was devised specifically to permit
> control of the interface: we decide what they are permitted to  crawl,
> and they respect it.  There is no reason to refrain from using it.
> There are more intrusive ways they control our behavior. They
> emphasize the words in the titles, & perhaps especially the beginnings
> of the titles, and we let this affect how we title the BLPs.
> Tellingthem what to index is not their affecting our beahvior, but us
> affecting theirs'.

The problem with trying that line of argument is that if we admit that
we are actively hiding stuff from search engines with the express
intention of prevention them from hiding it we are censoring
information.

> 2. Much better letting people control the external indexing, than
> control the content. I have always strongly objected to letting
> subjects have a say on whether or not there should be an article, but
> in comparison, this is harmless.

Nope you rejected the harmless position in your argument above. Since
you took the position that we should consider what search engines do
you are now advocating that wikipedia abandon the core part of it's
mission of making information widely available.

--
geni