No subject

Thu Jul 16 06:53:57 UTC 2009

"Dr. Berenbaum is the Director of the Sigi Ziering Institute Exploring
the Ethical and Religious Implications of the Holocaust. He is the
author and editor of 13 books, scores of scholarly articles and
hundreds of journalistic pieces on the Shoah. This fall he will
publish two books, A Promise to Remember: The Holocaust in the Words
and Voices of Its Survivors and Martyrdom: The Psychology, Politics
and Theology of An Idea."

The Sigi Ziering Institute is mentioned in our article on the American
Jewish University:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Jewish_University

But whenever I get the feeling that coverage of something is (for me)
overwhelming and saturating, I meet someone who doesn't know what the
Holocaust was, or is only dimly aware of the horror of the Holocaust.
And I realise then how difficult it is to make sure people don't
forget what happened, and how important it is to make sure people do
remember (and that applies to other things as well, such as the World
Wars in general).

Staying on the general topic, the whole phenomena of how coverage of
certain areas of history rises and falls, is fascinating. The number
of books on certain subjects goes through the roof when anniversaries
arrive (as has been seen recently with the commemorations of the 70th
anniversary of the outbreak of WW2). There was a big spike in books
about WW1 a few years ago, when the 90th anniversary commemorations
were being held. And so on. The way in which coverage and reaction to
the Holocaust has varied over the years is in some ways similar, but
in other ways very different.

I also found this:

http://www.humanitas-international.org/holocaust/methods.htm

A guide to how to present the Holocaust. Is that something worth
considering (if it is any good - I looked around a bit for stuff on
"Humanitas International" but couldn't find that much)?

Founded by Joan Baez, apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Baez

Carcharoth