[WikiEN-l] Rorschach wars continue

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Fri Jul 31 13:52:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, FastLizard4 wrote:
> The concern is legitimate, if for no other reason than Wikipedia is
> usually in the top ranks of any Google search.  But, Wikipedia is one
> site out of God-knows-how-many on the Internet, and /someone/ has to
> take the top search ranking on Google.  If it just so happens that that
> top ranked page has the same information as the Wikipedia article, it's
> the same problem, the only difference being that the problem is not
> Wikipedia's.

The same argument can be made about any issue which just involves privacy and
not even danger to lives.  If you search for Brian Peppers on the Internet,
you can still find all the information you want; that's not an excuse for
Wikipedia to have the article.

Someone else who is thinking of putting the information up can easily think
"even if I didn't put it up, Wikipedia would have the top search ranking".
You end up with everyone passing the responsibility to everyone else to stop it
first.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility