[WikiEN-l] Rorschach wars continue

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 05:53:34 UTC 2009

So, can someone fill me in on why we're laughing at this? From the article:

----
To psychologists, to render the Rorschach test meaningless would be a
particularly painful development because there has been so much
research conducted — tens of thousands of papers, by Dr. Smith’s
estimate — to try to link a patient’s responses to certain
psychological conditions. Yes, new inkblots could be used, these
advocates concede, but those blots would not have had the research —
“the normative data,” in the language of researchers — that allows the
answers to be put into a larger context.
----

That seems like a pretty reasonable concern to me. To destroy the
effectiveness of a test that has that kind of research background to
it (tens of thousands of papers!!) doesn't seem like a laughing
matter. Maybe it's unavoidable. Maybe it's collateral damage. But the
concern that publishing it on Wikipedia is different from publishing
it elsewhere on the web seems legitimate.

Steve