[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia:Paradoxes

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Wed Jul 29 10:06:21 UTC 2009

<WJhonson at aol.com> wrote in message news:c60.4955af03.3794c777 at aol.com...
> Your belief in something however does not effect it's own  existence.
>
> However I have a new twist on this old issue.
>
> Given: God can do anything
> Assume: God creates an object which "can do more things than  God"
>
> Explain: Why this fallacy is a logical violation.

In the same move, he makes himself not omnipotent.
If god created an uncrushable stone, he would in the same motion make
himself not omnipotent.
No contradiction is here. So, I could ask "Would God be dumb enough to
create an uncrushable stone?".

> Second new twist
> Given: God can create anything
> Assume: God creates an object having some property which makes God not be
> able to do something or other to it. "An immovable object", "An
> uncrushable
> stone", etc
>
> Explain: Why God cannot simply change this property and *then* affect the
> object.

He would be a self-contradictory being, outside the bounds of logic. Note
that he is doing two things. One is that he is creating something that he
cannot do, and then contradicting himself by proving himself incapable of
the first act. For omnipotence to mean "able to do any combination of
things" is for omnipotence to be a self-contradictory word.