[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Mon Jul 27 15:45:13 UTC 2009

Charles wrote:
> The argument worth having is that reliable sources are a necessary
> condition for the inclusion of a topic, rather than a sufficient
> condition. (This is quite obvious, I believe, but one can go blue in the
> face saying it with no effect.) No way is the presidential pooch going
> to get deleted, in practical terms. But that only proves once more
> "voting is evil", really.

My own take on the deletionist/inclusionist divide (which,
admittedly, has little if anything to do with Wikipedia's
inclusion policies as currently prescribed) is to ask: would
anyone, anywhere in the world (other than the author) ever be
interested in reading an encyclopedic treatment of this topic?
(And in the case of Bo the first dog, the answer is pretty
clearly "yes".)