[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Mon Jul 27 14:58:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Dan Dascalescu wrote:
> While deletionist folks are at removing the poem from Wikipedia, why
> don't you delete it from Wikiquote as well? Here's the page, for your
> convenience:
>
> http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Martin_Niem%C3%B6ller
>
> Have fun improving Wikipedia.

In this case I don't think there's much choice.  The poem is copyrighted and
we're not allowed to use it.

In general, the problem is our free content policy.  We're not allowed to
use material when permission has been given to Wikipedia, but not to the
world.  There's no way that Niemoller's heirs would consent to the poem
being used to advertise fast food, and they probably wouldn't even let it be
used for political causes they disagree with.