[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Mon Jul 27 13:59:42 UTC 2009

Luna wrote:
> If someone intends to maintain control over how content is used -- which I
> think is what Elipongo was getting at -- that content is not freely
> licensed.

Well, if the control someone intends to control over their
content is ironclad, I don't think they'd agree to have it
engraved verbatim on a public monument.

> Where the clear intent of a photo is to reproduce a given text verbatim,
> I should think that the original copyright on that text (if any) still
> applies.

I suppose the way the photo is cropped clouds the argument somewhat.
But I think (I hope) we can agree that a freely-licensed photo of
the monument as a monument -- that happened to visibly include
the text -- would not be objectionable.