[WikiEN-l] If anyone ever says Wikipedia is too deletionist

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu+wikipedia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 07:52:51 UTC 2009

> No, it just pushed my personal "wtf" button

Here's something that pushed my WTF button:

Why was a photograph of a public monument of Martin Niemoeller's poem
"First they came", removed from Wikipedia?

Here is a small version of the photograph:
http://www.oicu2.com/afc/Martin_Niemoeller.jpg

And here is the article's revision history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=First_they_came...&action=history

I contacted the deletionist at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Kameraad_Pjotr#Martin_Niemoeller

Really, honestly, do some Wikipedia admins have nothing better to do
than delete photographs of public monuments on grounds of the poems
they represent not being in the public domain, while the very article
page reproduces the poem in its entirety?

Aside from that, let's have a bit of common sense: does anyone
sincerely think that if Martin Niemoeller were alive, he'd object to
the image of that monument being on Wikipedia? Does anyone think that
any of Niemoeller's heirs would object? WTF?!

--
Dan