[WikiEN-l] When an article is in full protection.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 14:41:59 UTC 2009

2009/7/23 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:

> This usually works okay in practice, but then, that too is an
> administrative role, rather than an admin making a content decision as
> such, and needs to be confirmed sensibly.
> e.g. "I've added xxxx, does that work for everyone?"
> A good example is the death of Michael Jackson, where the page was
> locked and the discussion was fast and furious. Being a sensitive BLP
> (at the time), that was IMO just the right way to do it. Admins
> stepping in and saying "no, this is a  severe BLP hazard, we have to
> do this right."

Another recent non-BLP example is [[Ununbium]], which was locked from
moves after the likely name Copernicium was announced - it's not the
name unless there are no substantial objections by Jan 2010, but the
media headlines implied it was the name of the element right now. (The
name situation is now explained in the intro itself, because it's
current and important enough editorially.)

- d.