[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 13:47:01 UTC 2009

2009/7/18 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>:
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Jussi-Ville
> Heiskanen<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Any chance of Wikimedia UK (the chapter) applying
>> for a membership of BAPLA? Or would they be considered
>> "insufficiently commercial"?

> Commons would be the equivalent constituent unit of the Wikimedia
> Foundation family, not Wikimedia UK.

Yes. It is very important that *chapters don't do the content*,
particularly in the UK. If it were ever judged otherwise, we just
wouldn't be able to have a chapter in the UK at all.

> You may want to look through the
> BAPLA list and see if any charities or non-profit organisations are
> there - there might well be, as I've never looked through the whole
> list, but I suspect that even those ones would be selling their
> images, not distributing them for free reuse (or they would be doing a
> combination of free distribution and sales). The closest you might
> come would be "non-commercial use" (e.g. museums), but that, as has
> been made clear at Commons, is insufficiently free.

BAPLA's stated ambitions appear to be to become the monopoly cartel
for images in the UK - the RIAA or MPAA, with similar morals and
ethics.

- d.