[WikiEN-l] Ahhh, physics cranks

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Fri Jul 17 21:23:29 UTC 2009

> Last time I checked, arXiv was for pre-prints - the word suggests to
> me that it has to actually be going to get printed. It's not supposed
> to be a place to publish papers, just distribute them faster when they
> are being published elsewhere.

That's normally the case, but you do get some papers that just live
on arXiv and never get published (either not submitted to a journal
at all, or rejected).

It's always good to have several standard alternatives for
distributing information, and it will be interesting to see what
happens with this one. They could have chosen a better name, though -
vixra sounds like something you'd see in a spam email...

On a en.wp note: I assume that arXiv counts as a (mostly) reliable
site to reference? It will be interesting to see whether Vixra will
also be, although I guess it'll be a case of each individual paper/
author set being taken on its own merits.

Mike