[WikiEN-l] News suppression: Did it use Oversight or RevisionDelete?

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Jul 16 19:50:22 UTC 2009

2009/7/16 Joseph Reagle <reagle at mit.edu>:

> Does anyone know if during the NYT/Rohde case the Oversight function was used to hide edits?
> When the story broke, I could see all the edit history, but I presume the function can be deployed
> against select revisions and then removed? Or maybe it was the new RevisionDelete?

I believe neither had been used; it was plain and simple reverting
with the material left in the edit history.

(For once, we managed to have one of these Wikipedia-removes-stuff
debates without someone helpfully deleting edits here and there to
confuse matters)

The NYT article did use the word "deleted", but this appears to have
been in a more general sense ("removed from the article") rather than
our internal specific sense ("revision was removed from view").

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk