[WikiEN-l] Copyright question

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jul 15 16:50:28 UTC 2009

Carcharoth wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Mathias
> Schindler<mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2007 at 9:22 AM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And then presumably we should ask the National Portrait Gallery about
>>> their claimed copyright on hundreds of years old pictures. [*]
>>>

>>> [*] hint: the NPG stopped sending us letters claiming this after Jimbo
>>> said "sue and be damned."
>>>
>> at least until now....
>>
>> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/07/11/1239244/UKs-National-Portrait-Gallery-Threatens-To-Sue-Wikipedia-User?art_pos=1
>>
> This is now in the UK newspapers:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jul/14/national-portrait-gallery-wikipedia-row
>
> http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?National_Portrait_Gallery_sues_Wikipedia&in_article_id=702647&in_page_id=34

One wonders about the state of journalism in England when the people at
Metro can't tell the difference between a lawyer's letter and an actual
lawsuit.

I can imagine some future encyclopaedist referring to Metro as a
reliable source to establish that the NPG had in fact sued Wikipedia.
(not even Wikimedia).
Ec