[WikiEN-l] Featured churn

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 14 16:07:25 UTC 2009

geni wrote:
>> We'll know more around the beginning of 2010. In my view something is
>> likely to change in the direction of people valuing lists of "missing
>> articles" more, when it is clearer that drive-by creation is getting
>> drossier by the month (which is what that model implies). Of course I
>> can't quantify that: I know it is still easy to come up with sets of
>> 1000 topics that we don't cover at all well, and the total of redlinks
>> is still large.
>>
>> Charles
>>

> Redlinks in general perhaps. Redlinks in articles a significant number
> of people actually read less so.

Well, now we come to it: one reason there may be less growth is the the
nature of database use (people's queries tend to have less of a "long
tail" than our entries). OTOH: I started the [[Oxford Professor of
Poetry]] article, and had no idea there would be a media frenzy about it
(last time had been Yevtushenko). I also started [[Ruth Padel]] ... when
said frenzy arose I did fill in the redlinks as I could, including
[[Joseph Trapp]], first ever Oxford Professor of Poetry (a few
interesting things there, but for another time).

Charles