[WikiEN-l] Grape Lane (euph.)

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 10 05:30:30 UTC 2009

Anthony Simone wrote:
> A lot of the discussion was at Talk:Main Page, with some more at the
> article talk page. Note, though, that almost all the people who
> seriously objected to it were IPs and users with very few edits. So, it
> seems to have gone over pretty well with our users, most of whom
> probably didn't care enough to comment one way or the other.

I suspect frequent editors of Wikipedia have long since become
desensitized to obscene language, thanks to the constant stream of it
that gets inserted into articles as vandalism, and written all over
their user talk pages as revenge for reverting that vanadalism. I for
one enjoy reading about history and etymology, and have read articles
on obscene words and euphemism sequences with interest.

The featured article choices that really rile me are the pop culture
trivia, like individual episodes from TV series.

But whatever offends you about a feature article choice, regular
Wikipedians probably know that there's not much point trying to
convince Raul654 of anything.

-- Tim Starling