[WikiEN-l] MediaWiki is getting a new programming language

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 20:07:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:57 AM, stevertigo<stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Browsers by limitation are not real "WYSIWIG editing systems

They aren't?  How about contenteditable?

> New functionality, regardless of its development, is mostly either
> proprietary or useless unless the W3C deals with it.

Well, contenteditable is standardized in HTML 5.  There may be other
ways; a lot of other projects seem to manage to do good WYSIWYG
somehow, at least in major browsers.  AFAICT, the only reason we don't
have it is because our wikitext is a complete mess to parse
client-side.  If we used HTML or some close analog as a storage
format, we could have WYSIWYG almost for free.