[WikiEN-l] The terrorists have won

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed Jul 8 18:28:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Ian Woollard wrote:
> > But if they do make demands about silence, it is our ethical duty
> > to... censor ourselves?
> Yeah, why not? Just because your enemy want something to happen,
> doesn't mean you don't want it as well.

But it has some negative effects that they don't care about and we do.

For instance, modifying our articles when a hostage is threatened encourages
other terrorists to take hostages.  How long until some terrorist demands that
we alter our Jenin article to say that Israel committed a massacre, or else
they start executing hostages, now that we've demonstrated that we can be
coerced in that way?