[WikiEN-l] MediaWiki is getting a new programming language

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 04:54:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 6:22 AM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you look at Wikipedia pages and really compare them to what has now
>> become state-of-the-art website design, it's hard to avoid the
>> conclusion that Wikipedia looks a lot like Web 1.0 rather than Web
>> 2.0.
>

> I'd call that a feature. Content is King. I used the classic skin for
> ages after Monobook became the default.

I'd call it a sad legacy of the timing of Wikipedia. I would dearly
love more Web 2.0 like features, particularly the general ability to
mash up data in different ways, edit stuff through AJAX rather than
page refreshes, less wordy screen layout etc etc.

(I don't for a minute mean fancier social networking features. Just
faster ways of manipulating content.)

Steve