[WikiEN-l] MediaWiki is getting a new programming language

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 21:48:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Carcharoth<carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Judson Dunn<cohesion at sleepyhead.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> {{#ifeq: string 1 | string 2 | value if true | value if false }} .
>
> The help pages for templates are not very helpful.
>
> Instinctively, and by looking at examples, I sort of know the above,
> but I've never seen a help page that clearly explains how to use
> templates and parser functions, let alone how to construct tables
> (more a WYSIWYG problem). Maybe I've been looking at the wrong pages,
> but if there are pages that clearly teach people how to construct
> templates and tables, I'd really like to be pointed at them.

I think I can say with some authority that the existing help pages on
templates -- both for casual users and programmers, but especially for
those who want to start understanding parserfunctions and how to
construct a template from scratch -- completely suck. If there's any
template gurus out there who have some spare time and want to work on
the documentation, you'd be doing a huge community service.

The table help pages in the MediaWiki manual are ok, but on en:wp need
to be re-integrated with the en:wp documentation; similar information
is spread over several pages and you just have to know that some
features exist, e.g. sortable tables.

-- phoebe