[WikiEN-l] Bible websites

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 7 10:50:35 UTC 2009

stevertigo wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM, David Carson<carson63000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Did you actually read Charles' message, or just stop after the first
>> sentence to fire off a reply? He wasn't saying "why on earth would
>> Wikipedia be citing the BIBLE?!", he was saying that you need to look at
>> the reason for the citation because that may well affect your choice of
>> which version to cite.
>>

> Your right. His message though was quite characteristically
> sophisticated, and I of course knew that he did not mean to suggest
> that we *not quote the Bible.
>
> Still I sort of took the liberty of interpreting his first statement a
> bit literally, and maybe out of context too, just to make a tangential
> reference to the fact that ~65% percent of us are devoutly atheistic,
> and yet are dealing, somewhat accurately, with technical aspects that
> directly affect theological sourcing.
You did. If I get trolled I usually hope for something wittier.
> It's always slightly ironic when
> atheists deal with theological topics, and myself being, by design,
> one of the other ~35%, I felt a bit compelled to bring that up in as
> flat and contrite a way as possible.

No irony at all, I think. The encyclopedia that anyone can edit includes
medical pages, legal pages and even theological pages anyone can edit.
In fact I think the absence of a WikiProject Religious History to match
the awesome WikiProject Military History is a big lack. (I'm not great
at starting WikiProjects so don't sofixit me.) There is nothing ironic
about people editing on military history in ways that belie
nationalistic beliefs or their absence, is there?

Charles