[WikiEN-l] MediaWiki is getting a new programming language

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Mon Jul 6 19:01:39 UTC 2009

In a message dated 7/6/2009 11:46:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
stvrtg at gmail.com writes:

> ..if you dislike Lua, Python, etc. because they aren't similar enough
> to English, then Neil's offering:  "PRINT THE NUMBER OF CHARACTERS
> BEFORE THE FIRST OCCURRENCE OF THE
> COLON CHARACTER IN THE..." makes the substantial point, in addition to
> being esoterically funny.>>

The reason BASIC was and still enjoys wide popularity is because it's
easier to learn.

The example does not make the substantial point because it veers so
strongly to the opposite end of the spectrum as to be unrelated to the argument
whatsoever.  I never suggested that a language should *mimic* English (or a
bizarre type of hyper-English).

I welcome however, anyone who wants to actually conduct this argument, on
Earth.

Will Johnson