[WikiEN-l] Bible websites

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 6 10:10:54 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/7/6 stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com>:
>

>> Hm. Of course, Tim is right - if its public/open domain then
>> wikisource should host it and we will then link to it. The issue with
>> the hebtools site/script is that most of its links go to BibleGateway.
>>  Obviously the current script's sources need to be changed to include
>> both other gateways like bible.cc and of course wikisource. A choice
>> of gateways would be preferable.
>> The current hosted translations/versions on wikisource are:
>>    * Bible (Wycliffe) (1380s)
>>    * Bible (Tyndale) (1526)
>>    * Douay-Rheims Bible (1610)
>>    * King James translation, or “Authorized Version” (1611)
>>    * King James translation, Oxford Standard (1769)
>>    * American Standard translation (1901)
>>    * Bible (Jewish Publication Society 1917)
>>    * World English translation (in progress since 1997)
>>    * Wikisource translation (in progress since 2006)
>>

> Is there anything that will show the same verse in several
> translations at once? That would be ideal - highly educational. That
> would require something less like wiki pages and more like a database
> at the other end. Or someone laboriously compiling wiki pages of the
> form en.wiki---.org/wiki/John/3/16 .

The use of transclusion by section on Wikisource would make it
technically simple to bring the existing verses (or chapters) together
on pages for parallel reading. Of course it would be a lot of work ...
and I suppose it should be done chapter-wise. (Verses are at best a
convenience - chapter divisions have I think a wider acceptance, and are
at least historically older.)

Charles