No subject

Mon Jan 19 21:31:31 UTC 2009

"Use of quotation marks. The committee asserted that quotations around
"mixed blood" and "full blood" Indians in Churchill's work implies the
Allotment Act contains these terms verbatim, and because the Act does not
expressly contain this language, this constitutes academic misconduct.
Cheyfitz disagreed and stated quotation marks serve many purposes, and the
use of quotations here does not necessarily imply these words were used in
the Act."

What use of quotation marks in everyday literature does not mean you are
quoting someone verbatim? (I hav used them to distinguish pronunciation from
spelling in alt.usage.english, and to denote strings in computer code, and
that is about all). When you are explaining what someone else means, then
you enclose it in square brackets. That is what newspapers here do, anyway.

"Ghost writing. The committee found research misconduct on Churchill's part
where he ghost wrote the Rebecca Robbins essay "from the ground up" and then
cited that essay in his own work. Cheyfitz opined there is nothing wrong in
this because another professional (Robins) signed off on the essay and
applied her authority to it, so she stands behind those ideas as if she
wrote it herself. There was no coercion or deception involved, and no basis
for research misconduct allegations. Likewise, Churchill's work on the
Indian Arts and Crafts Act did not constitute research misconduct."

Why was her voice a good or necessary choice? She probably should hav at
least mentioned his name, in some fashion. I asked someone to solicit my
rent overpayment back once, and she insisted on putting it in her own words,
which did the trick.