[WikiEN-l] Watch out Wikipedia, here comes Britannica 2.0

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 22 14:04:47 UTC 2009

the wub wrote
> Also fom the article:
> "He said the encyclopedia had set a benchmark of a 20-minute
> turnaround to update the site with user-submitted edits to existing
> articles"
>
> That'll probably be faster than us once flagged revisions is switched
> on (compare with the German expeiment, where backlogs are up to 3
> weeks) which should make for an interesting role reversal.
> (I don't want to derail this thread into arguing about flaggedrevs,
> just thought it was amusing)

Certainly that benchmark is impressive.  I have a personal figure of
about ten minutes, for "how long it takes to add a new researched fact
to enWP".  Assuming only this is a fact-checking exercise based on
Google, it would be quite something for EB to sustain this 24/7. Of
course it may be deduced some other way, for example telling employees
that they are supposed to vet two dozen submissions in a working day,
and rather assuming a good match of employees to time zones.  But in any
case there would be a question-mark over how things scale. Presumably
they are not intending a big expansion of coverage on current affairs?

Charles