[WikiEN-l] 6 months later: Knol update

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:01:11 UTC 2009

2009/1/21 Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Anthony  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Gwern Branwen  wrote:
>>>
>>> As will surprise none of the Knol nay-sayers here (in which number I
>>> believe I can count myself), Knol hasn't done too great.
>>
>> Compared to what?  I can't imagine Knol is much worse than Wikipedia when it
>> was 6 months old.  Knol just published its 100,000th article.  When
>> Wikipedia was 5 months old, it said on the main page "We've got over 6,000
>> pages already. We want to make over 100,000."  The Wayback machine then
>> skips ahead 5 more months, by which point Wikipedia brags "We started in
>> January 2001 and already have over 13,000 articles. We want to make over
>> 100,000, so let's get to work"

It seems Anthony's email was send offlist (at least, I didn't get it
and it's not in the archive) - was that intentional?

Anyway, I think it's important to realise that Knol has just published
its 100,000th Knol, but since it has multiple Knols on each topic it
has far less than 100,000 topics. It is meaningless to compare number
of Knols to number of Wikipedia articles.