[WikiEN-l] Reasons I care less about Wikipedia than I used to, No. 43

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Jan 21 03:09:51 UTC 2009

Ron Ritzman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Which brings up the question "What is Wikipedia?". Is meta-content
>> like User: space and Wikipedia: space actually part of Wikipedia?
>
> A question I thought of after reading
> [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Angr this]. Is Wikipedia a free
> (libre) encyclopedia or a free (beer) encyclopedia that primarily uses
> a free (libre) license?

You can view it lots of different ways, I suppose. I personally consider
Wikipedia primarily important as a *project* to produce a free (libre)
encyclopedia. From that perspective, our primary product is the
downloadable dumps. Once they exist, then the rest (distribution, online
hosting, repackaging of subsets, etc.) can be done by dozens of other
organizations. But producing the encyclopedia is much harder, which
we're the only ones really doing on this scale---even if you included
non-free projects.

That said, hosting said encyclopedia for free (gratis) public access
does also happen to be quite useful for bolstering our primary role, in
that it attracts editors, promotes our mission, attracts goodwill for
providing a free (and ad-free) source of information, etc.

-Mark