[WikiEN-l] Announcing "Epistemia", a new wiki encyclopedia

오현성 chamdalae at dreamwiz.com
Fri Jan 16 13:02:41 UTC 2009

2009/1/16 Philip Sandifer :
> Your choice of CC-BY-SA, which, at least for now, closes off use of
> Wikipedia content (and visa versa). It seems silly to start a free
> content encyclopedia and then render yourself unable to share content
> with a rather large project already underway in that area.
>
> -Phil

Hi Philip,

I agree that it would be highly advantageous for Epistemia if we could share content freely with Wikipedia. However, short-term compatibility isn't our only consideration in choosing a licence.

One problem is that the Wikimedia Foundation is currently considering changing the licence system used on its sites. If we use the GFDL, as we initially decided to do, we could certainly copy a large number of articles from Wikipedia. However, in the longer term the GFDL could be more of a handicap, as it might prevent compatibility with other online projects (including Wikimedia projects if they are re-licensed), and could be difficult to change. After the release of the GFDL 1.3, we came to the conclusion that it would be best to upgrade and change our licence to the CC-BY-SA, even though this means that, unfortunately, content cannot easily be shared between Wikipedia and Epistemia in the current situation.

Best regards,

Richard Austin