[WikiEN-l] Reasons I care less about Wikipedia than I used to, No. 43

James Farrar james.farrar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 02:35:02 UTC 2009

2009/1/19 Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net>:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, The Cunctator wrote:
>> I think James's point is that wikilawyers have lost all perspective.
>
> In this case, the image actually may be unusable even under fair use.  It's
> the *real* law which has lost all perspective.  We have no choice but to
> follow it.

Oh, we always have a choice. In this case, one available choice is "do
nothing and see if they send us a C&D". Another would be to contact
them and ask "is it OK for us to do this?".

But, no. Instead we choose to make Wikipedia a marginally worse place
to be involved.

I spend a fun couple of hours reading [[WP:LAME]] (having been sent
there by a post on this list) - I'd advise everyone else to visit it
while it's still there.