[WikiEN-l] Announcing "Epistemia", a new wiki encyclopedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 01:38:13 UTC 2009

2009/1/17 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:

> A noble aim, and I wish you luck. The problem you will face, I think,
> is in being sufficiently better to encourage people to read your
> encyclopaedia despite it being significantly less comprehensive than
> Wikipedia. Without readers, you will find it very hard to attract
> writers (you'll get some, but not enough to get the exponential growth
> that Wikipedia saw for its first few years).

Citizendium has a community of writers and appears to be ticking along okay.

Unfortunately, more than a few appear to be driven by resentment of
Wikipedia, and by far the most effective method of getting publicity
so far has been to bitch about Wikpedia (the "let's you and him fight"
story is one beloved of lazy journalists everywhere) - which makes CZ
look less than classy (less classy than it is).

Epistemia, from the description, appears to be yet another thing in
the same space. What's the differentiator from Citizendium?

(And by the way, well done on keeping the hell away from the GFDL,
broken piece of shit that it is.)

- d.