[WikiEN-l] Announcing "Epistemia", a new wiki encyclopedia

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 17 01:48:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/17 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>:
>> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Thomas Larsen
>> <larsen.thomas.h at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Epistemia aims to provide something better.
>>
>> How did you come up with the name, and what does it mean? :-)
>
> See http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/epistemology

I would have thought metaphysics and ontology are closer to the
philosophical underpinning of an encyclopedia, but I guess it is
harder to come up with names from those (Ontopedia??). The "nature of
knowledge" is a bit different from the actual knowledge itself. It did
get me wondering how catchy the various spin-off names are (I know,
some aren't spin offs):

Infopedia
Wikia
Veropedia
Epistemia
Wikinfo
Citizendium

Seems Wikipedia cornered the market with the most obvious name.

Anyway, best of luck with Epistemia. It is actually rather tempting to
see what it is like to be there on the ground floor constructing the
whole thing from the ground up. Many people missed that back in 2001-3

Carcharoth

PS. It seems I made up Infopedia!