[WikiEN-l] General versus specific names/scope for articles

brewhaha%40edmc.net brewhaha at edmc.net
Fri Jan 16 05:20:25 UTC 2009

In this matter of choice, I avoid jeneral terms when I can. For example, I
rarely write "algae", because that could refer to moss that has a solid
substrate or dissolved phytoplankton. The practical difference is that
plankton can grow (and consume oxygen in decomposition) a lot faster than
moss. Other writers figure that they want to, and can safely get rid of,
both, so they lump it altogether in "algae", a word that I avoid.

Is no combusion external to an enjin? Or, external combusion is incidental
to light enjinz like rockets and afterburning turbines. Does having the fire
enclosed in solids for the vast majority of the burn make it internal
combustion? I think that is a popular understanding that excludes rockets
and turbines.