[WikiEN-l] Interesting article on restored copyrights in US works between...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 23:41:11 UTC 2009

In a message dated 1/13/2009 2:03:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
saintonge at telus.net writes:

Legally,  you are right.  That doesn't stop groups like Corbis from doing
it.  It's very easy to add a copyright notice to anything, with or
without justification. Who is going to be willing to challenge them?   >>

----------
We're speaking past each other.
I am not suggesting that a person, scanning some image, cannot add a
copyright disclaimer to it.

What I'm suggesting is that *this action* does not make a public domain  work
into a private copyrighted work.  What it does, what they are  suggesting it
does at any rate, is make THEIR OWN WORK into a private  copyrighted work.

It does nothing at all to the original public domain piece, and no one, as
far as I know, even the defendents/plaintiffs have suggested that it alters
that  the piece is still public domain.  What they suggested is that *their own
image* of that piece *solely* is a copyrighted piece.  Not the  original.

Hope that's more clear.

Will Johnson

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)