[WikiEN-l] To boldy delete what no one had deleted before!

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 07:41:36 UTC 2009

In a message dated 1/7/2009 11:35:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com writes:

Just  like "deleting" a merge requires admin tools. You are welcome to file  a
bugzilla on this.>>

------------------------
It's not at all like it.
In this case, anyone can do a merge.  You simply cut and paste the  text and
then redirect the page.  This is open to any editor.   However, some
commentators are stating that doing this violates the license, and  the *sole* way to
do it without doing so, would be to use tools that some  editors do not have.

So we set up a situation, where we allow and encourage merging, and then
when editors actually do it, we threaten them with a copyright infringement
lawsuit.

That is not acceptable.  I'm not going to file a "bug report", because  this
is an conflicting interpretation of what we can, should, may, or might  do.  I
don't personally think we need the history in order to fulfill the  license
requirements.  But I'll strenously object to anyone trying to use  that to
clobber mergers when we are allowing and encouraging them to do exactly  that.

Will Johnson