[WikiEN-l] NOR contradicts NPOV

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Thu Jan 8 06:36:50 UTC 2009

In a message dated 1/7/2009 7:57:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
snowspinner at gmail.com writes:

"Encyclopedia" and "record of only what has been published in  reliable
secondary sources" are not synonymous  terms.>>

----------------------------

And yet the community needs a method of determining "Is this  encyclopedic?"
We already loosely use an expression like "this is not encyclopedic" in  AfD.
Apparently there is some sort of processing going on, on the editor level,
to allow them to determine that.

If the determination is simply the answer to the question "Has this ever
been published by anyone anywhere?" then we come back again to Notability, since
this answer destroys notability entirely.

However the community seems to want Notability.  And so my conclusion  is
that this contradiction means that "This has been published" is not a full
answer to "Is this encyclopedic?"

Will Johnson