[WikiEN-l] Low citation quality in BLP articles

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 7 03:26:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 10:14:52PM -0500, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> Can you point to any source in a BLP which comes from a "peer-reviewed
> publication" ? I mean any of them at all?

That's exactly my point. There is no lack of academic analysis of
politicians, of artists, etc. But we do not seem to use any of it.

For example, I can find numerous articles on George W. Bush on JStor.
And once he is out of office there will be no lack of biogaphies written
to analyze his presidency. We could argue about whether these journals
and biographies are "peer-reviewed" but they are certaily of a higher
caliber of scholarship than the average MSNBC web page.

If, as you have argued, our role is to wait for other scholars to decide
what's important, and then report that, why don't we do so in BLPs? Why
not wait a few years for analysis to emerge before we report on things?

 - Carl