[WikiEN-l] Low citation quality in BLP articles

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 03:17:40 UTC 2009

<<In a message dated 1/6/2009 7:11:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm writes:

I would  say it is an unsuitable source and we shouldn't be using it.
Imagine if I  included a reference to Encarta in the next research paper
I  write...>>

Apples and oranges.
It is typical that hard science research papers refer to journal articles,
and other published research papers.
It is typical that encyclopedia articles refer to other works of a similar
type, such as other encyclopedias.
This is not a lower form of citation, it is merely the normative  behaviour.

Will Johnson