[WikiEN-l] NOR contradicts NPOV

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 7 02:13:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:57:30PM -0500, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> I also dispute that many of OUR biographical articles are written
> entirely from primary sources.  If they are they should be flagged as
> problematic.

This is partially because the standards we permit for sources on
biographies of living people are incredibly lax. I view this as an
unfortunate side effect of the desirable goal of having thorough
sourcing.

For examples of the actual sourcing we use for biographies (forget
about primary/secondary for a moment), scroll through the list of
references at [[George W. Bush]] or [[Barack Obama]]. In addition
to the majority of references to newspapers and newsmagazines,
I see referneces to MS Encarta and Encyclopedia Britannica.  And these
are high-profile bios that presumably represent some of our best work in
sourcing.

 - Carl