[WikiEN-l] NOR contradicts NPOV

Carl Beckhorn cbeckhorn at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 7 01:33:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:21:18PM -0500, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> It's not our place to decide *for* the community, what sholuld come to
> the top of the pond.  It's our place to just skim the top of the pond
> and write up what we find.

We can also use our actual knowledge as members of the relevant
community of physicists, mathematicians, philosophers, etc. to judge
for ourselves how "prominent" a particular viewpoint is, in order
to decide whether to go along with some particular content addition.

The idea that we have to wait a few years for secondary sources to sort
things out before we write about a piece of news would be very
surprising to the people who edit biographical articles about current
politicians and articles about the latest release in the Harry Potter
series. The general practice on wikipedia is simply that if material is
verifiable and a consensus of editors on a page favors it, then it can
be included. Why would academic articles be different - why would we
have to wait for history to judge a new mathematical theorem, when we
don't have to wait for history to judge some political scandal?

  - Carl