[WikiEN-l] "Who The Hell Writes Wikipedia, Anyway?"

James Farrar james.farrar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 16:47:45 UTC 2009

2009/1/3 Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com>:
> A recent recycling of Aaron Swartz's analysis of the difference
> between who-makes-the-most-edits, versus who-contributes-the-most-content:
>
>        <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2009/1/who-the-hell-writes-wikipedia-anyway>

As often is the case, the last paragraph is well worth highlighting:

"Even if all the formatters quit the project tomorrow, Wikipedia would
still be immensely valuable. For the most part, people read Wikipedia
because it has the information they need, not because it has a
consistent look. It certainly wouldn't be as nice without one, but the
people who (like me) care about such things would probably step up to
take the place of those who had left. The formatters aid the
contributors, not the other way around."