[WikiEN-l] Well-sourced nonsense vs. unsourced competence

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 17:48:16 UTC 2009

FT2<ft2.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed. It was a milestone compared to what went before, and enabled citing
> to become a norm or expectation (rather than an option) in practice not just
> theory.
>
> But its some years on and we're in the #5 and useability... methynks we can
> do better still :)

Well, people who actually work on things tend to be conservative, and
like their work to be appreciated. Coincidentally, conservatism in
general is largely about just appreciating what's been done and what
actually *is. Liberals and forward thinkers tend to get too interested
in what could be, forgetting that what *is took work - work that we
futurists may not actually be capable of doing ourselves.

Still, we see cases all the time where the fundamental components have
been around for years and even decades - it took vision, not work, to
figure out how to put them together in a better way. For example,
160-character messaging, technically speaking, is a limitation - not
an innovation. ;)

-Stevertigo