[WikiEN-l] Positives to publicity

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 16:43:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Emily Monroe<bluecaliocean at me.com> wrote:
>> Do we have a welcome mat rolled out and some magic pixie dust to
>> tell people to please not be BITE-y?
>
> *pixie dust pixie dust* ;-D
>
>> We don't want a large influx of editors arriving to help after
>> reading about things in the news, only to run into someone
>> unfriendly or rules-bound.
>
> I agree. Maybe have a Signpost-like note to everyone subscribed to
> Signpost? Maybe have that actually in the Signpost? Something like
> "Editors note: There's an influx of newbies, so please be patient".
> How will that work?

Is there, in fact, an influx of newbies going on?  Has anyone compiled
the numbers for recent days to find out whether newbies are signing up
faster than usual and if so by how much?

I think it's a good idea to point to such an influx in the Signpost if
it actually happening, and to highlight the various pages and
recommendations we have for enculturating newbies, but doing so based
purely on anecdote and second-hand information... that seems more like
Daily Mail than Signpost.

-Sage