[WikiEN-l] Positives to publicity

Keegan Paul kgnpaul at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 03:56:56 UTC 2009

> It would be interesting if someone did a study on initial interactions
> between newcomers and oldbies to see if anything can be improved. But
> IMHO the best way to avoid newbies getting "bitten" is to help them
> avoiding newbie mistakes in the first place - a good interface, the
> right help and a few safety checks would go a long way. ("Whoa there
> newbie, you just wiped the whole page. Here's how not to do that...")
>
> Steve

Well, hm.  Hard to explain there as an "oldbie" what it was like as a
newbie.  I happened to have good interactions based on concerns I had, as
Newyorkbrad went over in a Wikipedia Weekly cast.  I only registered an
account because the History of Alaska was messed up and I thought it more
appropriate to have an account to complain :) . I've seen thousands of
editors come and go not only because of initial experience, but just passion
and care.  There's no real matrix for it.
~Keegan
--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan