[WikiEN-l] A sudden thought on the media coverage of flagged revisions

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 22:52:49 UTC 2009

2009/8/26 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>:

> I do hope some of the things being said in the papers are being
> corrected, or something said somewhere.

It's ongoing hard work. Basically they write something awful, you
write a note thanking them for coverage, correcting their "minor
details" wrong, thanking them again and maybe they remember next time.

This does work eventually.

> When I read in the paper tonight (thelondonpaper - freebie that I like
> but has had the plug pulled by Murdoch) was a bit depressing in how
> wrong the tone it struck was:
> "Experts sought"
> "Wikipedia to end open editing rule"
> "Wikipedia has been forced to ditch its policy of allowing anyone to
> edit its pages."

There is a perennial media narrative that unmediated content
production cannot possibly work, as it goes against everything media
people understand. They have run pretty much THE SAME story about
Wikipedia every year since it was created.

This narrative is so strong that no mere facts or objective reality
can kill it. I expect to see it next year and the year after too, and
the year after that.

Also, if you can find anyone at the London Paper who gives a hoot
about what they're producing any more (apart from the Em cartoon,
that's good), I'll give you a lollipop ;-)

- d.