[WikiEN-l] BBC Newsnight tonight! re: flagged revs

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 20:55:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is telly and Very Important. I'll have my suit and tie ...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsnight
>
> Perhaps I'll get Paxmanned!
>
> I NEED INFORMATION.
>
> * When's Flagged Revs being switched on?
> * Where's the latest version of *precisely what's happening*?
> * etc?
>
> I can arse it through for Radio 5, but Newsnight is a bit scary!
>

> - d.

As far as I can tell from IRC chats with some of the coders hanging
out with Brion at Wikimania, a lot of this is still up in the air but
this is still the closest thing to canon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Flagged_protection_and_patrolled_revisions

The Foundation has apparently asked the developers to focus on ironing
out the technical hurdles to rolling out flagged revs to BLPs, but
(contrary to the NYT story that started this off) only passive
patrolling of BLPs is part of the current community-created plan.
According to that plan, for a 2 month trial, active flagging (where
unflagged versions don't show up by default) will only be used in
place of semi-protection/protection.  BLPs will be available for
flagging, but unflagged edits will still go live.

Also, someone recommended that the just-announced $2million grant from
Omidyar Network (and the addition of Matt Halprin to the board?) might
be worth mentioning too.  But that might just confuse things.

-Sage